Women’s Health Medicaid Program
In 2000, Congress passed the Breast and Cervical Cancer Prevention and Treatment Act, which gives states the option to offer women in the NBCCEDP access to treatment through Medicaid. To date, all 50 states and the District of Columbia have approved this Medicaid option. In 2001, with passage of the Native American Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment Technical Amendment Act, Congress explained that this option also applies to American Indians/Alaska Natives who are eligible for health services provided by the Indian Health Service or by a tribal organization.
The Georgia Department of Public Health provides treatment for breast and cervical cancer to eligible women. WHMP was established in July of 2001 by the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Prevention and Treatment Act of 2000 with matching funds appropriated through the Georgia Cancer Coalition. The WHMP is administered by the Department of Community Health.
Services provided by the program include:
- Breast and cervical cancer treatment.
- Full coverage Medicaid that includes the full range of services not only cancer treatment.
- Services continue until all cancer treatment has been provided.
In order to participate in the program, participants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be financially eligible for the Georgia Breast and Cervical Cancer Program.
- Must be diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer determine by a biopsy.
- Must be under 65 years of age.
- Must have no health insurance coverage for cancer treatment and not eligible for Medicare.
- Must be a Georgia resident who is a U.S. citizen or qualified alien.
Access to Services
Any uninsured, low-income (family income not greater than 200% of the federal poverty level) woman who has been diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer should go to the county health department in her county of residence. Information regarding the program can also be obtained from the Georgia Screening and Treatment Unit by email
firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone (404) 657-7735.